Need a Better Customer? Try Gamification!
Gamification is the use of game thinking and game mechanics to engage users in solving problems... sort of.
- Fold It
- Candy Crush Saga
- So does crack cocaine...
- Just because something works doesn't mean it's good for your users
It's about psychology. Messing with someone's mind is simple. Be careful with your end users.
- Stanford Prison Experiment
- Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman
- Mitigate Failure
- Promote Growth
Intrinsic Gamification (I want X)
- Make sure it goes all the way to 100%
- Make sure there's a path forward
Extrinsic (If you do X you get Y)
They won't work in the long run.
Everyone just cares about imaginary internet points. But then people get tired of it. Everyone will just hack your system.
Badges and Rewards
Same thing, people get tired of it.
- Focus on intrinsic value
- Users are Humans, be nice to them
- Extrinsic rewards bring short term games
- People are motivated by: